My Carnivorous Plants and Me

I acquired my first carnivorous plant in December 2020—a neighbor had propagated his byblis guehoi and sold it to me for cheap. A few weeks later, I bought a nepenthes miranda from a carnivorous plant shop since I wanted to try my hand at pitcher plants. I had great success with those two plants: my nepenthes miranda never stopped growing pitchers, and, at its peak, my byblis guehoi bloomed flowers and grew so long that I had to trim and propagate it.

Alas, I found out that even carnivorous plants could fall prey to mealy bugs, so my once-glorious byblis guehoi took its rest. I tried my hand at a venus fly trap, too—I acquired a DM B52 in February 2021, but it did not survive, and I didn’t want to replace it (carnivorous plants are pricey!) anymore.

Sarracenia Chelsonii (L), Nepenthes Bloody Mary (C), and Nepenthes Miranda (R)

In May 2021, I (finally) acquired the two carnivorous plants I’ve stuck with: a sarracenia chelsonii and a nepenthes bloody mary. I’d wanted a sarracenia for a few months already, so when I found one within my budget, I went for it. I bought the nepenthes bloody mary to replace my nepenthes miranda, which I never quite fell in love with.

Whereas house plants could survive a week or two without water, carnivorous plants required frequent watering. I wanted to find a way make carnivorous plant care low maintenance, so I looked into terrariums. I had two options: a closed terrarium or an open terrarium. If I had a closed terrarium, I would only rarely need to water my plants, but my plants wouldn’t be able to feast on bugs unless I somehow managed to bring bugs into the closed ecosystem. …No thanks—an open terrarium it is. With an open terrarium, my plants would not only catch prey on their own but would also have the opportunity to grow bigger. I’d still have to water the plants, but at least it wouldn’t be daily.

Terrarium Set Up

Before buying a tank, I decided to ask my neighbors about carnivorous plant terrariums. I mentioned that I had a nepenthes and a sarracenia and that I wanted to put them together. Good thing I asked because someone pointed out that the watering requirements for the two were very different. Unless I set up a large tank with leveling, I couldn’t combine my plants in one terrarium. I didn’t have space nor materials for a large tank, so I planned to use separate betta fish tanks that I found in the house instead.

To start, I made a base layer of pumice per terrarium. This would serve as a buffer in case I ever add too much water into the tank. As for the rest of the potting medium, I used a mix of sphagnum moss and perlite—carnivorous plants thrive in low nutrient medium, so soil should not be used. (Cocopeat and perlite can be used for carnivorous plants as well—my nepenthes miranda and byblis guehoi used this mix. However, I’ve never tested this on sarracenias, so I opted for the tried and tested sphagnum moss.)

Finally, I decorated the terrariums with extra aquascaping rocks I found in the house.

Day 1: Nepenthes Bloody Mary (L) and Sarracenia Chelsonii (R)

Truth be told, the terrariums looked messy. I didn’t think to start with the visible sides first then work my way to the center, but I decided to leave them as is. What mattered was I used the right potting mix. In any case, my plan was to let the plants grow wild, so I guess the messy aesthetic will work in the long run.

I initially set up two terrariums: one for my nepenthes bloody mary and another for my sarracenia chelsonii. Two weeks later, a friend sent me a byblis guehoi propagation, so I set up a third terrarium for that.

Progress Report

Day 12: Nepenthes Bloody Mary and Sarracenia Chelsonii. Day 1: Byblis Guehoi.

It’s been three months since I set up my terrariums, and my original two terrariums have done well. Unfortunately, the byblis guehoi didn’t survive (due to repotting stress and lack of sunlight—the weather was cloudy on the days that followed the repotting). I decided not to replace it and focused on maintaining the nepenthes bloody mary and sarracenia chelsonii instead.

A month after I set up the terrariums, I moved them to a new spot that got direct sun in the mornings. Although I initially made the terrariums to avoid frequent watering, I found myself watering them every 3-4 days (as opposed to every 7 days) since I moved them to the sunnier spot. At least it wasn’t daily watering. The move was worthwhile anyway because the plants were more exposed to the elements in the new spot and had more access to sunlight and insects.

Day 93: Nepenthes Bloody Mary
Day 93: Sarracenia Chelsonii

By the end of three months, both nepenthes bloody mary and sarracenia chelsonii were sporting all new pitchers (the old ones dried up). The nepenthes bloody mary went through a dramatic rebirth (like a phoenix rising from the ashes!) after a dormant period of two months. It shed its old pitchers—which worried me at first—but now it’s growing more pitchers than it had before. On the other hand, the sarracenia chelsonii never went dormant. It slowly lost its older pitchers, but it always had a new pitcher growing. Right now, the sarracenia chelsonii is still a small plant, but the pitchers it sports are healthier than when I first got the plant, so I am not worried about it at all. I’m sure both plants will outgrow their terrariums in no time. (The nepenthes bloody mary is already hanging outside!)

Day 93: Nepenthes Bloody Mary (L) and Sarracenia Chelsonii (R)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: